[Spice-devel] spice multi-clients issue

Alon Levy alevy at redhat.com
Wed Jan 16 08:23:45 PST 2013

> Hi,All,
>   Currently I'm trying the multi-client feature of spice, the server
> side is spice-server-0.10 and qemu-kvm-1.1, if I use only from Linux
> machine the spicec-0.10 or spice-gtk-0.10 as clients, the
> multi-clients
> works fine,
> but if I use the old version(e.g. spicec-0.6) spicec-win32 or newest
> virt-viewer-0.5.3 from windows machine, the qemu-kvm will assert in
> spice-server such as:
> red_worker.c: free_one_drawable(RedWorker *worker, int
> force_glz_free)
> {
> ..
>   ASSERT(ring_item);
> }
>   I know the multi-clients is only experimental, but I have to try
>   such
> feature from Windows machine, so would anyone share some clues to
> resolve/workaround for this, thanks in advance!

That assert happens whenever the preallocated list of drawables runs out of drawables.

So it's a network latency and guest activity issue. The experimental status is more of a "the code is there, it might work for some durations, but don't rely on it" because of this issue. I don't know why it works with some clients better for you, I can only assume that the clients are contributing/changing the latency somehow to create a larger pipe (and as a result smaller free drawable list, until exhaustion) for some clients and not others.

I really wish to get back to this and finish it properly, since I think this is a very useful feature.