[Spice-devel] Fedora 18 guest's GUI is slow. Due to 3D driver?

Jeremy White jwhite at codeweavers.com
Fri Jan 25 11:14:07 PST 2013

> It didn't even work until recently (with the release of Fedora 17) as seen in this features page for Fedora 17:
>
> https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Features/Gnome_shell_software_rendering
>
> As you probably know, GNOME 3 has the 3D required desktop and the Fallback mode desktop.  I believe the Fallback mode is supposed to be discontinued if it hasn't been already... but if it is there, you can use that and it should be much faster.

Have we really looked into this?  I feel like we're all just throwing
our hands up in horror without seeing if there is anything we can do.

I looked at this very briefly, and discovered that the uxa / fallback
mode seem to be interacting in a pretty atrocious way; a way that seems
worse than I would expect.

For example, doing very simple operations (opening an xterm, typing,
etc), results in whole screen draws.  Every time.  Surely we can look at
the code path and figure out why that's happening, can't we?

Has anyone asked Adam Jackson about this?

Cheers,

Jeremy