[Spice-devel] Questions regarding Bug 62033 - Means to detect local-only

Hans de Goede hdegoede at redhat.com
Fri Jul 5 10:45:45 PDT 2013

Hi,

On 07/05/2013 06:07 PM, Fedor Lyakhov wrote:
> Thanks for your answers!
>
> Looks like the issue is more complicated than I originally thought. But I'm still excited to continue working on it.
> Ok, I'm going to follow Hans' view now.

Good.

> One thing I don't understand: why would we want to apply these 'effects' settings via vdagentd (system level)? For me they belong to session level.

And they do, the suggestion to use the system dbus was related to your proposal where the agent would advertise
settings and the session(s) settings manager would query them. If you follow my proposal the agent will be
actively making the changes, and that certainly belongs in the session part of the agent.

> Before the session is started there is no way for us to know will it be Gnome or KDE or w/e - it is decided upon login...

Correct, but if the session's settings manager will query the agent (the old design) there is no need to know
the session type.

> Also how this will work when Spice supports multiple client connections to one guest?

A good question, this is something which is best left for later.

> I'll investigate current ways of toggling 'effects' in Gnome and KDE - to understand how far we are from common standard way for doing this. Assuming there is no common way, what would you prefer:
> 1. Implement DE-specific code within vdagent/vdagentd
> 2. Introduce something like 'draft standard dbus interface for controlling DE effects', and add sample Gnome and KDE implementations (which would hide DE-specifics from vdagent).

I would prefer 1. You could also do 2 in parallel as a proof of concept, when starting
a discussion about a unified dbus API for this, it helps to have some example code, but I
believe that to get results quickly we should do 1 (we can still pursue 2 in parallel to
work to a better solution in the future).

Regards,

Hans