[Spice-devel] virtio-net windows drivers

Ignazio Cassano ignaziocassano at gmail.com
Tue Jul 16 01:55:49 PDT 2013

Hi all, I executed a complete test to identify the problem.
Firstly I need to exaplain what I am doing.

I created a windows xp guest with sp3 , virtio net and spice agent.
I used virtio-win-0.1-59.iso and spice-guest-tools-0.59.
This is a base image for all other vm xp .
The base image works fine.
I used sysprep on the base image and then I created another xp guest on a
qcow2 disk  which uses the base image.
When the new guest starts it does  not get the network card because it asks
for drivers.
Confirming the virtio drivers automatic installation (because drivers are
present in the base image) and rebooting the guest,
it can see the virtio network card but it takes a lot of cpu and it cannot
be used.

I repeated the test installing virtio-win-01.30.iso drivers and
spice-guest-tools-0.3  on the base image.
The new guest now does not ask to install the virtio net drivers but only
the virtio scsi adapter drivers and  it works fine.

Could you help me ?
I tried sysprep with several options : either with plug-and play flagged or
without it

I tried also using the base image without virtio net adapter, using the rtl
net adapter and the guest which uses the base image works fine.

So I think the problem is using sysprep with last virtio net adapter or
last  spice-guest-tools .... :-(

Regards