[Spice-devel] Questions regarding Bug 62033 - Means to detect local-only

Marc-André Lureau mlureau at redhat.com
Wed Jul 24 17:52:50 PDT 2013

----- Mensaje original -----
> Thanks for the answer, Marc-André!
>
> Few comments inline.
>

> On Tue, Jul 23, 2013 at 4:27 PM, Marc-André Lureau
> <marcandre.lureau at gmail.com> wrote:
> >
> > Hi
> >
> > On Mon, Jul 22, 2013 at 10:28 PM, Fedor Lyakhov <fedor.lyakhov at gmail.com>
> > wrote:
> > > Hi everyone,
> > >
> > > I've made a bit of progress on this issue - "disable wallpaper" and
> > > "disable
> > > animations" somewhat work with Gnome3. The code is very simple:
> > >
> > > static void disable_animation()
> > > {
> > >     GSettings *desktop_settings =
> > > g_settings_new("org.gnome.desktop.interface");
> > >     g_settings_set_boolean(desktop_settings, "enable-animations", FALSE);
> > > }
> > >
> > > static void disable_wallpaper()
> > > {
> > >     GSettings *desktop_settings =
> > > g_settings_new("org.gnome.desktop.background");
> > >     g_settings_set_boolean(desktop_settings, "draw-background", FALSE);
> > > }
> > >
> > > But looks like this isn't enough. This implementation of
> > > disable_wallpaper
> > > actually freezes current background, it is still displayed just isn't
> > > scaled
> > > properly when e.g. resolution changes. I'd love some input from anyone
> > > with
> > > Gnome3 knowledge... What's expected behavior for Spice client in this
> > > case?
> >
> > I think it is to have a solid background.
>
> I see. Turns out this is not that easy to implement with Gnome3
> settings, but looks like I've got somewhat acceptable behavior today.
>

> > > Disable_animations seems to not changing things much - at least I still
> > > see
> > > some animations when opening menu or pressing Action button (top left
> > > corner).
> >
> > That doesn't surprise me. If you think that some shell animations are
> > superflous, you may want to open a bug to GNOME.
>
> Sarcasm?) Personally I find Gnome3 not practically useful, at least
> 3.6 in Fedora 18... But let's not dive into this holywar :)

No no, I usually find GNOME3 animations quite pleasant or useful.

I mean that in some constrained/remote environment, we may want to disable more animations in gnome-shell etc.

> > Perhaps, although in general, you use your VM either over WAN or
> > local, but not so much switching between the two all the time. And if
> > it is the case, there are chances you prefer to have the same look and
> > feel for both cases, so not doing any changes is probably ok.
>
> I think that if we implement such intrusive behavior (changing
> look&feel of DE), we should provide a user with similar means to
> revert that...

Perhaps it should be reverted for some users or use case. The use case I have in mind (mostly remote usage, and work environment), I believe it is not so important. ymmv

> > Imho, you could win much more performance gains by getting back to
> > "means to detect local only" and tuning spice settings itself
> > (disabling image compression etc), not tweaking the desktop settings,
> > but hey, do what you want! :)
>
> Agree. I just don't feel too confident to dive in the internals now.
> I'm trying to address Bug62033, but looks like Gnome/Boxes guys aren't
> very interested in the solution now. It was their request for means to
> detect 'spice local or remote' - that's why I started with DBus way in
> the first place...

bgo #62033? not gnome-boxes (btw, the are some people behinds Boxes here :-)