[Spice-devel] Spice backend for Weston

David Jaša djasa at redhat.com
Thu May 2 07:15:27 PDT 2013

[resending to the list, Юрий, please reply to this message]

Hi,

Shvedov Yury píše v Po 29. 04. 2013 v 16:37 +0400:
> Hello.
>
> As part of my course work, I've developed spice backend for Weston (the
> reference implementation of Wayland compositor).

Nice!

> Currently this uses
> Wayland's pixman-based renderer, and shares rendered frames over spice
> protocol.

Have you looked into possibility of rendering & sending of each buffer
(is it the correct term?) and sending them to the client independently
so that final compositing could be deferred to the client?

IMO that approach has the biggest potential of b/w saving for use cases
such as window move or "pop-up window appears and it's dismissed".

> With my backend, it is possible to communicate with wayland
> desktop using spice client.
>
> Current implementation is proof-of-concept only. Only shm buffers are
> supported, and no attempt is made to optimize bandwidth. Performance is
> expectedly bad. The first goal was just to make it working, and now it
> works - at least if client and server are on the same physical host.
>
> In future, I plan to utilize GL both for rendering and calculating
> difference between frames. With this approach I hope to get both
> full-functional desktop and minimize server and bandwidth requirements.

That sounds like something that John A. Sullivan III would
appreciate. :)

David