[Spice-devel] Spice bug62033, Gnome bug 680195 rework: new inhibitors for desktop effects

Bastien Nocera hadess at hadess.net
Thu Nov 7 14:27:31 PST 2013

On Fri, 2013-11-08 at 00:35 +0400, Fedor Lyakhov wrote:
> OK, got it. Thanks for your patience. I'll CC you once the patch is ready...
>
> I understand reasons behind both of the approaches - this one is
> simple. But I'd need to add Spice vdagent D-Bus API for exactly this
> one use case... hope that more interface functions will need to be
> exposed in future.
>
> Also this approach won't make the
> "--spice-disable-effects=<wallpaper,font-smooth,animation,all>" option
> to work (and implementing it using just gio's gsettings interface
> looks unreliable... that's why inhibitor-styled API was proposed
> actually). But we can live without it.

There's a couple of problems seeing that way:
- we don't have any infrastructure to implement the wallpaper, or
font-smoothing inhibitors.
- there's nothing tell us that changing those settings would actually
make a difference in terms of network usage (do you have that
information?)
- it's way too fine-grained to be useful. Either the link is fast enough
to show animations, or not. The amount of data needed for a static
background image is likely not going to matter as much as the *whole
screen* not giving you 60 completely different images to animate to the
overview ;)

So you could export that information from SPICE, we just wouldn't be
using it in GNOME (yet at least).

Cheers