[Spice-devel] Spice Client - Password option

Marc-André Lureau mlureau at redhat.com
Mon Nov 11 12:14:32 PST 2013

Hi

----- Original Message -----
> Hi,
>
> I have an application which uses old windows Spice client v0.6.3 to connect
> to linux VMs. It uses '-w --password' option to pass the password. I am
> thinking of moving to new Spice client RemoteViewer but '-w --password'
> option is no longer supported. Is there a way I can pass the password in
> Remote Viewer?

Not officially supported from the command line (there is a way you can pass it from the URI, with "?password=..." but it is discouraged and may be removed in the future)

However, you can create a connection file, with the password inside:

Ex foobar.vv:

[virt-viewer]
type=spice
host=foobar
port=5900
password=pass1234

See also man remote-viewer(1) for a more complete description of the connection file.