[Spice-devel] Screen doesn't update with spice-gtk unless compiled with --with-x11

Matthew Schumacher matt.s at aptalaska.com
Thu Nov 14 10:50:37 PST 2013

Spicy People,

I have some feedback on my experiences with spicy software.  Hopefully
this helps the development in some way.

I compiled the following on my slackware 14.1 host:

spice-protocol-0.12.6
spice-0.12.4
spice-gtk-0.21
virt-viewer-0.5.7

When I use the spicec client the vm works fine, however I don't get good
full screen support.

So I move to spicy (spice-gtk), and it connects, but I don't get any
screen updates.  The initial screen works fine, and if I click on
something, then reconnect I can see that the vm got the mouse click, but
the screen remains unchanged.

virt-viewer does the same thing which is expected since it depends on
spice-gtk.

I have tried compiling against gtk-2.0 and gtk-3.0, same results.

Next I tried compiling spice-gtk with --with-x11 and now I get screen
updates again.

So I have a working client now, but spicy frequently crashes with:

(/usr/bin/remote-viewer:3054): Spice-Warning **:
../spice-common/common/canvas_base.c:741:canvas_get_lz: a palette is
missing (for bpp to rgb decoding)

(/usr/bin/remote-viewer:3054): Spice-CRITICAL **:
../spice-common/common/canvas_base.c:1149:canvas_get_image_internal:
condition `surface != NULL' failed
Aborted

If go back to spice-gtk-0.19 things are stable again, but virt-manager
won't compile.

Using virt-manager against spice-gtk-0.21 and avoiding the spicy binary
seems to be stable and work fine.

Thanks for this very useful software, hopefully that helps someone
searching for answers to the same issues.

schu