[Spice-devel] 4-display windows guest problems

Jonathon Jongsma jjongsma at redhat.com
Fri Nov 15 13:43:59 PST 2013

I'm trying to understand a bug I encountered in virt-viewer.

I set up a windows 7 guest with 4 QXL devices.  When I connect to this guest with virt-viewer, it gets 4 display channels, and virt-viewer offers to let me enable 4 displays (via toggling 'View > Dislays > Display N').  However, display #2 consistently doesn't work for me.

If I enable display 2 (via 'View > Displays' menu), the display just waits forever with 'Waiting for displays 2' message.  Enabling displays 3 or 4 works as expected.

If you approach the problem from the other end and open the guest display configuration tools (e.g. right-click on desktop and click 'Screen Resolution'), it only shows 3 available monitors (instead of 4). Assuming that you are starting with just a single display open, if you use the guest configuration tool to enable display #2, virt-viewer opens its own display #3 in response. Similarly, enabling display #3 in the guest tools results in virt-viewer opening its display #4.

If I remove one of the QXL devices (so there is a maximum of 3 displays), things work fine -- I can open all 3 displays as expected.

So I'm trying to figure out in which component the bug exists.  I did a little bit of preliminary investigation, but didn't find anything obvious. The fact that only 3 displays show up in the guest configuration tool makes me suspect that it's not an issue in the spice client, but would appreciate more input from those with more experience with the server/agent side of things.

Jonathon