[Spice-devel] RFC on sound codec refactoring

Jeremy White jwhite at codeweavers.com
Fri Oct 4 20:16:24 CEST 2013

>> Second, the current client does not record correctly in celt mode.  I
>> get a stuttered recording when I use that.  The gtk code works fine.  In
>> my testing, this is true both with and without this patch set.  But it's
>> still an unsatisfying result :-/.
>
> You mean it's stuttering with the old spicec client but not with spice-gtk?

Yes, exactly.

> Feel free to not touch spicec, it's really no longer maintained - but feel free to fix it too :). in fact I would prefer if you could verify your "common" code with spice-gtk, but I understand if you prefer to let someone else do it ;)

Yeah, seems like it'd be good to fix it.  I wanted to get the RFC out
before getting bogged down.

>> I would appreciate comments and feedback, particularly if there is
>> anything that seems obviously wrong to others.
>
> I like this approach (I am just worried about the opus integration and dealing with various compiled in/out versions of server and client)

Thanks.

>> If this approach seems viable, I'll work on adding Opus support, and
>> then also revise the gtk implementation to use the new code.
>
> Iirc, Christophe also did some work on Opus support, but he got stucked because of necessary resampler. I don't know the details, but I am sure he will reply.

Yes, he pointed out some issues back in August when this last came up
(primarily supporting 'old' clients if you're sampling at 48K).  That's
the bit I'm not entirely clear on just yet, and hope to research a bit
further.

Cheers,

Jeremy