[Spice-devel] Current qemu-master hangs when used with qxl + linux guest

Hans de Goede hdegoede at redhat.com
Tue Oct 8 16:27:38 CEST 2013

Hi All,

I'm having this weird problem with qemu master + spice/qxl using
guests. As soon as the guest starts Xorg, I get the following message
from qemu:

main-loop: WARNING: I/O thread spun for 1000 iterations

And from then on the guest hangs and qemu consumes 100% cpu. The qemu
console still works, and I can quit qemu that way.

Doing ctrl+c + a thread apply all bt in qemy shows one cpu thread waiting
for the iothread-lock, and all other threads waiting in poll.

This happens both with non kms guests (tried RHEL-6.5, older Fedoras)
as well as with kms guests (tried a fully up2date F-19).

Since I've not seen any similar reports, I assume it is something
with my setup ...

I've tried changing various things:
-removing the spice agent channel
-changing the number of virtual cpus (tried 1 and 2 virtual cpus)
-upgrading spice-server to the latest git master

But all to no avail.

This is with qemu-master build from source on a fully up2date
F-20 system, using the F-20 seabios files.

If someone has any clever ideas I'll happily try debugging this further.

Regards,

Hans