[Spice-devel] [patch 0/2] vdagent KEYVAL extension

Dietmar Maurer dietmar at proxmox.com
Tue Oct 8 21:09:07 CEST 2013

> You said it yourself, unicode doesn't have representation for all keyboard keys.
> As you have seen in my previous reply, I am looking at the problem from an
> "input-method" level. And I don't know if it's a good idea to depend on X11/gdk
> keysyms in general for Spice.

VNC use that for 20 years now, so I guess the idea is not so bad.

> > Else I need to listen on two different input channels, and mix them somehow.
> > That does
> > not make any sense to me.
>
> Indeed, that might be a problem since input channel and vdagent/main channel
> are not synchronized.
>
> Could we have the utf8 input message on the input channel, and multiplex it with
> the rest of vdagent messages, so at least the remote/guest receives event in
> order (assuming input channel waits for vdagent before processing key event)?

Sorry, I do not really understand that. I already send a patch extending the input channel,
but nobody answered. That is why I rewrote the whole thing to use vd_agent instead.

IMHO, extending the input channel keyboard message format would be the
right thing to do. Simply send:

- scancode
- keysym
- modifier key state