[Spice-devel] RFC: Integrating Virgil and Spice

Fabio Fantoni fabio.fantoni at m2r.biz
Fri Oct 11 10:38:42 CEST 2013

>    Hi,
>
> >/  I think nearly all GPUs, Intel ones included can do on-board H264 encoding now,
> />/  the vaapi for Intel exports this ability, not sure how to expose it on
> />/  non-intel GPUs,
> />/  or how they expose it under Windows etc.
> />/
> />/  The problem for us is the usual patent minefield around h264.
> /
> Yep.  Offloading the work to the hardware may get around that.  IANAL
> though.  But not having a software fallback for patent reasons isn't
> very nice.  Especially on the decoding end.  Encoding without hardware
> support probably isn't very useful anyway.
>
> cheers,
>    Gerd

What about hardware acceleration with the actual codec (mjpeg) or vp8 or
vp9 codec?
Unfortunately, from what I have seen until now cpu is overloaded without
a dedicated video codec hardware acceleration, which renders spice
client performances very poor even if on medium/high range thin client
and unusable with a low end ones.

Thanks for any reply.