[Spice-devel] spice-gtk on MAC OSX

Mario Lombardo ml at kernelobjects.org
Mon Oct 14 10:32:01 CEST 2013

Hi,

> It is really slow indeed.
>
> One thing you could try to discard the non-gtk part, is to run
> spicy-stats against the replay tool.
>
> You should be able to compile the "replay" branch on
> https://git.gitorious.org/spice/elmarco-spice.git. Extract
> http://elmarco.fedorapeople.org/debian.xz. And run server/tests/replay
> -w debian. Then you can time/profile spicy -p 5000, or spicy-stats -p
> 5000 (for excluding gtk usage).

I was not able to checkout. I noticed there is a wip/replay and
continued with this branch. But then I got this error:

mario at moe:/usr/src/elmarco-spice$ ./autogen.sh
Cloning into spice-common...
fatal: https://git.gitorious.org/spice/spice-common/info/refs not found:
did you run git update-server-info on the server?
Clone of 'https://git.gitorious.org/spice/spice-common' into submodule
path 'spice-common' failed

Is there another repository?

> It could be some overhead on other part of the OS?
> Is there a profiler for overall system on OSX? (like perf on Linux)

Do you mean something like this?
https://developer.apple.com/library/mac/documentation/Darwin/Reference/ManPages/man1/sysdiagnose.1.html#//apple_ref/doc/man/1/sysdiagnose

> Well, it's explained above: "spice-gtk only supports sw canvas atm",
> "replace it at build time, or use a runtime selection".
>
> Look at how spicec does it for inspiration, if it can help you.
I will take a look into it. Thanks.

/Mario