[Spice-devel] [Users] desktop virtualization and GPU support

Jorick Astrego j.astrego at netbulae.eu
Wed Oct 16 11:58:51 CEST 2013

We were looking at this card:

It's just for a couple of users that need GPU, the rest we can arrange
with terminal server without GPU.

http://hothardware.com/News/AMD-Sets-Its-Eyes-On-New-GPU-Virtualization-Markets-Launches-S9000--S7000-Family/

AMD's Citrix and VMWare support uses a mode called GPU Passthrough. In
both cases, the software allows a virtual machine to directly access a
GPU. In this use-case, GPUs and users are mapped in a 1:1 model, with
one card dedicated to each client. It's also possible for Xenserver to
create virtualized GPUs, with up to four users per card. The implication
from AMD's presentation is that Citrix is a bit farther along than
VMWare as far as supporting various GPU configurations, and that Remote
FX is the most mature solution overall.

Kind regards,

Jorick Astrego
Netbulae B.V.