[Spice-devel] Vdagent not working on xen linux hvm DomUs

Fabio Fantoni fabio.fantoni at m2r.biz
Fri Oct 18 15:58:22 CEST 2013

> On 10/14/2013 05:52 PM, Fabio Fantoni wrote:
> >/  I have added vdagent support on libxl for hvm domUs using upstream qemu.
> />/  On windows domUs it is working without problems found in over one year
> />/  that I'm using it.
> />/
> />/  On linux domUs is not working, it seems to be a problem on the kernel
> />/  side and/or linux vdagent services.
> />/  The domU parameters are the same on both linux and windows domUs and
> />/  below you can be find some details on dom0 if needed:
> />/  http://lists.xen.org/archives/html/xen-devel/2013-10/msg01111.html
> />/  On my latest test with Fedora19 domU:
> />/  - on install one month ago there was this log:
> />/  /var/log/spice-vdagent.log (nomore now)
> />>/  spice-vdagent[1398]: err: Missing virtio device
> />>/  '/dev/virtio-ports/com.redhat.spice.0': No such file or directory
> /
> This seems to be the error. You are missing the virtio device. Does the
> domU have the virtio-serial module loaded (or compiled in)? does the vm
> have the appropriate corresponding options in xen for creating that
> virtio pci device and the virtio serial port on top of it, with that name?

Thanks for reply.
I use the default kernel already installed on Fedora19 (plus software
update).
I did a grep on kernel config about VIRTIO and this is the result:
> less /boot/config-3.11.4-201.fc19.x86_64 | grep VIRTIO
> CONFIG_NET_9P_VIRTIO=m
> CONFIG_VIRTIO_BLK=m
> CONFIG_SCSI_VIRTIO=m
> CONFIG_VIRTIO_NET=m
> CONFIG_VIRTIO_CONSOLE=y
> CONFIG_HW_RANDOM_VIRTIO=m
> CONFIG_VIRTIO=y
> CONFIG_VIRTIO_PCI=y
> CONFIG_VIRTIO_BALLOON=m
> CONFIG_VIRTIO_MMIO=m
> # CONFIG_VIRTIO_MMIO_CMDLINE_DEVICES is not set

> >/  - spice-vdagent package is installed
> />/  - /dev/virtio-ports is missed
> />/  - lspci shows virtio console with virtio-pci driver in use
> /virtio console is something else. virtio-serial replaced it iirc, and is
> backward compatible, but you don't need a console. I'm not familiar with
> Xen so I can't help in this.
>
> But this is your problem - don't bother checking any thing else until
> you have this device node present in the guest.

I used these qemu parameters in xen patch for vdagent support:
-device virtio-serial
-chardev spicevmc,id=vdagent,name=vdagent
-device virtserialport,chardev=vdagent,name=com.redhat.spice.0

I also tried to use these qemu parameters instead with same result:
-device virtio-serial-pci,id=virtio-serial0
-device
virtserialport,bus=virtio-serial0.0,chardev=spicechannel0,name=com.redhat.spice.0
-chardev spicevmc,id=spicechannel0,name=vdagent

Since with same parameters windows guests it works, it seems there would
be some strange behaviours on guest's linux kernel.
I took a quick look at code but to no avail.

If you need more details and/or tests tell me and I'll post them.