[Spice-devel] Release timing / strategy?

Christophe Fergeau cfergeau at redhat.com
Mon Oct 28 11:20:20 CET 2013

On Sun, Oct 27, 2013 at 02:42:04PM +0200, Alon Levy wrote:
> On 10/25/2013 07:01 PM, Jeremy White wrote:
> > I've just now submitted updated spice-html5 packages to bohdi, so
> > hopefully Fedora users will able to run an updated version shortly
> > and stop having the missing minus key :-/.
> >
> > But I don't have a strategy for release timing.  The html5 client
> > doesn't tend to have obvious major points; it's little bits here and
> > there, which I mostly roll up as the mood strikes me.
> >
> > I get the sense that the other parts of Spice are much the same.  For
> > example, the xf86-video-qxl driver went years without a new release,
> > despite steady development.
> >
> > Does it make sense to create some sort of release timing?  Perhaps try
> > to have a new rollup of packages with each Fedora release?
> >
> > I'm mostly looking for an algorithm I can use to remind me to update the
> > Fedora packages again someday :-/.
>
> We have a much neglected page for release planning on the wiki. The wiki
> needs some love since you can't log into it currently, but other then
> that (I intend to fix this tomorrow) it's a good idea, and since Fedora
> releases every 6 months (kinda) it sounds like an ok plan.

Intermediate releases would make sense as we tend to find bugs right after
releasing a new versions when more people start to test it. One release on
season changes (roughly December 21st, March 21st, ...)? One release every
other month? (every month is easier to remember, but may be a bit too
often)