[Spice-devel] Is virsh supposed to work on Windows?

Fernando Lozano fernando at lozano.eti.br
Wed Sep 4 11:53:38 PDT 2013

Hi there,

Sorry for the cross-post, but I seeked help on this issue before on
those lists, but nobody answered. :-(

I'm trying to use virsh and virt-viewer on Windows.  I'm running the
latest binaries from http://spice-space.org/download.html, that is,
virt-viewer-x64-0.5.7.msi on a Windows 7 64-bits computer.

So far I got remote-viewer.exe to work, after some pain. But have no
sucess using virt-viewer.exe and virsh.exe. Are they supposed to work,
or am I loosing my time?

I know the kvm host setup (a CentOS 6.3 machine) is fine, because I can
connect using virsh from other CentOS and RHEL machines. I'm using TLS
to secure connenctions to libvirtd, without client certs.

I had a litthe trouble finding where to put certificate files on the
windows machine, but using Sysinternals ProcessMonitor I found they have
to be on the obvious path:
C:\usr\x86_64-w64-mingw32\sys-root\mingw\etc\pki{CA,libvirt}

Even then virsh can't connect:

virsh # connect qemu://kvmhost/system
error: Failed to connect to the hypervisor
error: Unable to set close-on-exec flag: Success

ProcessMonitor "strace" doesn't help me find what went wrong. I'm sure
I'm using the same *.pem files that works for Linux clients. It looks
like virsh is opening and reading those files ok. ProccessMonitor shows
a TCP connect and a TCP Disconnect events to the correct IP and port,
both resulting SUCCESS.

Any ideas? What can I do to debug virsh on Windows and find why it isn't
connecting to libvirt on CentOS? I tried -d and -l on Windows and Linux
but can't find where the debug logs are saved.

If you want, I can send ProcessMonitor captured events.

For Red Hat folks out there: I need this working so I can get approval
to buy subscriptions, The idea is production hosts will be RHEL. :-) If
not, my boss may end up buying XenServer ;-)

[]s, Fernando Lozano