[Spice-devel] More on virt-viewer for windows

Fernando Lozano fernando at lozano.eti.br
Fri Sep 13 09:40:14 PDT 2013

Hi there,

As the newer windows binaries kindly provided by teuf won't work because
of missing DLLs, I returned to the latest binaries provided by
spice-space.org.

remove-viewer.exe works fine, after I foud where to put TLS
certificates. Not that user-friendly though. :-)
virt-viewer and virsh won't connect, although they are using the same
certificates as a Linux client.

The short-term goal is getting virt-manager to work, butI think it'd be
easier to get virsh working first, but the solution would apply to
virt-manager as well.

Microsoft SystemInternals ProccessMonitor shows the certificates are
being found and read (that's how I found where to put then). I assume
that's ok. But after that nothing I can use for troubleshooting. Looks
like a bug on the windows port networking code.

But I finally found how to use libvirt own debugging features. So here's
attached a log for the windows machine, which can't connect, and the
linux machine, which connects fine to the same kvm host, using the same
certificates and the same URL (to the same CentOS 6.3 kvm host). They
are using different virsh and libvirt releases, so I added to the logs
the output of "virsh -V". Both machines are on the same level-2 network,
vlan and IP subnet.

I hope this helps someone find the bug and provide me with new binaries
to test. :-)

If someone helps me getting the missing DLLs for teuf newer binaries, I
can generate a log using them. It looks the missing DLLs is another bug
per se.

Of course, I hope someonte at Red Hat realizes a missing or broken
windows ports hurts KVM and RHEL and RHEV market share and put more
people on it. :-)

PS: Someone offered helping me compiling the windows port. I'll give it
a try, no promises, free time is very scarse. :-(

[]s, Fernando Lozano