[Spice-devel] [spice-gtk] Use system-wide trust certificate store

David Jaša djasa at redhat.com
Wed Sep 18 07:13:30 PDT 2013

On St, 2013-09-18 at 15:24 +0200, Christophe Fergeau wrote:
> On Wed, Sep 18, 2013 at 02:11:20PM +0100, Daniel P. Berrange wrote:
> > For SPICE though, users are pretty unlikely to be purchasing certs
> > from the commercial CA (protection racket) vendors. They'll almost
> > certainly be using their own internal CA.
> >
> > The question is, would they be likely to append their own private
> > CA onto the list of the global certs ?  I'm somewhat sceptical.
>
> I wrote this patch while fixing certificate handling in remote-viewer
> ovirt code. When using oVirt, the same CA is used for the web
> portal/REST API and for the SPICE TLS connections.

This is common configuration but not a rule. For ovirt:// connections,
CA certificate should be used for connection to REST API but from there,
you should download /ca.crt and use that as a CA for spice connection
(together with actual host subject that should always be digged out of
REST API).

The scenario for such setup is to use some widely-recognized CA for API
but internal RHEV CA for stuff that is managed by RHEV (such as vdsm &
libvirt & qemu certificates).

David