[Spice-devel] progress on virt-viewer for windows

Fernando Lozano fernando at lozano.eti.br
Thu Sep 19 12:48:29 PDT 2013

Hi Marc,
>> C:\Program Files\VirtViewer\bin>virsh -c qemu+tcp://kvmhost/system
>> error: failed to connect to the hypervisor
>> error: authentication failed: unsupported authentication type 1
>>
>> It looks like the windows port can't do SASL auth over TCP. So I changed
>> libvirtd.conf to allow unauthenticated connections over TCP. It worked!!!!!
> Some time ago, I tried to port cyrus-sasl to mingw (mostly for fun), I remember I was very sadden by their build-sys which would really need some serious love.
>
> There are some binary distribution for Windows around, so it must be doable, but not so easily imho. What mechanism would you rely on? Testing all of them can be tedious too.

I tried only digest-md5. I guess most people would use either that or
Kerberos.

Is the "authentication type 1" from the error message a libvirtd
authentication type or a SASL one?

I was not able to setup "polkit" on the host. It complains about a
missing agent. For libvirtd, the auth options are "none", "sasl" and
"polkit". When I manage to get "polkit" working for a linux client, I'll
try on the windows port.

[]s, Fernando Lozano