[Spice-devel] two monitors with linux and libvirtd

David Mansfield spice at dm.cobite.com
Wed Sep 25 10:16:21 PDT 2013

Hi Christophe,

On 09/25/2013 10:11 AM, Christophe Fergeau wrote:
> Hey,
>
> On Tue, Sep 24, 2013 at 05:43:38PM -0400, David Mansfield wrote:
>> With F19 fully updated host and guest, with or without virt-preview,
>> is this supposed to work when configuring launching from
>> virt-manager / libvirtd?
>
> You are not very specific about the issues you are having. Are you failing
> to get multi-monitor to work at all? Or are you having issues getting
> exactly the behaviour you describe? If so, what is working/not working?
>
> If it's multi-monitor that you don't manage to get to work, I just
> tested it using remote-viewer and a f20 alpha livecd as the guest in
> a VM using SPICE and a QXL video device. I could not get things
> to work with a f19 livecd with a similar setup.
>
> Hope that helps,
>
> Christophe

Thanks for your reply!

I was somewhat more specific in some previous mails with no reply, and I
thought if I acted more like a newbie whether I'd get some response -
which I did!

Here is exactly what isn't working:

Environment:
F19 host, F19 guest both fully updated, with or without virt-preview
repository.  F19 remote-viewer. I've also tried adjusting ram and vram
setting a few times but currently it's ram=131072 and vram=65536.

Issues:
When opening the "second" monitor via the remote-viewer menu, it stays
"waiting for graphics server" (or some such)

If, in a terminal window in the vm, I run xrandr with no arguments, the
second "monitor" begins to display the entire desktop (two monitors
worth), albeit somewhat shrunken to fit into the remote-viewer window.

If I open a third monitor via remote-viewer window, the second "monitor"
begins to show the correct data, but the third shows the entire desktop
(three monitors worth), shrunken to fit.

If, at any point, I try to change monitor resolution, spice hangs until
VM power cycle (although the VM itself remains perfectly viable via ssh).

The actual mouse cursor position is offset (by about -8 x -8) from where
the displayed mouse cursor is (you must move your mouse right and down
from where you want to click).

I get the error message from remote-viewer:
only support monitor config with primary surface 0, but given config
surface 397

More Information:
I have subsequently tried doing this exact same test with Centos6 host,
Centos6 guest, Centos6 client.  This basically works (maybe some rough
edges which are completely unrelated).

I have then tried F19 remote-viewer connecting to centos6 guest, Centos6
host - it doesn't work, but it's better.  Changing resolutions (using
the "monitors" control panel in the guest) produces strange and
incorrect overlaps of displayed desktop area / mouse positions etc., but
if you set things up using centos6 client then connect from F19 things
basically work.  Hard to really explain the problems here except that
clearly the guest and client are not communicating "monitor" dimensions
and offsets correctly.

If I use Centos6 viewer to F19guest/F19host, I get the same entire
desktop in the second "monitor" symptom.

I wonder what's in the F20 preview that's not in fully updated F19 with
virt-preview.  I'll try adding "rawhide" repo and updating the relevant
packages and check back.