[Spice-devel] [Users] 2 virtual monitors for Fedora guest

David Mansfield spice at dm.cobite.com
Fri Apr 11 07:35:18 PDT 2014

On 04/11/2014 04:16 AM, Christophe Fergeau wrote:
> On Thu, Apr 10, 2014 at 05:24:21PM -0400, David Mansfield wrote:

>>> adding spice-devel
>>>
>> I have just gotten multiple monitors working.  I have F20 guest, F20
>> host, F20 client.  To get the multiple monitors working I had to:
>>
>> 1) disable qxl.ko module in guest  by adding "nomodeset" to the
>> kernel boot command line in grub. This one makes a huge difference -
>> thinks are completely unstable with qxl.ko
> This bit may not be necessary with the latest f20 kernel in the guest.

I'm running completely updated (kernel-3.13.9-200.fc20.x86_64)  F20
host, F20 guest, F20 client (all the same physical machine) and when
qxl.ko is loaded and I open the second "monitor" (call it window-1) with
remote-viewer, a window appears with completely wacky contents (see
attached):

It displays the entire framebuffer which consists of the contents of
"Virtual-0" and the contents of "Virtual-1" (which are currently at
different resolutions) scaled down and presented in the small window.
The contents are "in sync" (i.e.:  if I drag windows around in Virtual-0
(in window-0), they move in window-1 as well.  Mouse input is mapped
differently than it displays in window-1: the left edge of window-1 is
mapped to the left edge of Virtual-1 (although it is displaying the left
edge of Virtual-0) . From a mouse input perspective, the top edge and
bottom edge are mapped correctly.

If I do:

xrandr --output Virtual-1 --mode 1024x768 --right-of Virtual-0

It resizes the Virtual-1 portion of the desktop, but window-1 still
shows the entire desktop.

I'm using mate desktop in the guest and on the client. I believe this
makes a different.  If I run gnome3 in the guest, it works a bit better.

All of this is slightly better than before (possibly because of the
changed framebuffer, ram or vram or maybe because of updates to qxl.ko):
I used to get massive screen corruption as well, but as of now it seems
that is fixed. Also, it used to be that if the second "monitor" was
turned off then on, that spice would be completely dead (although the
machine alive) until a reboot.

HTH, and keep up the good work! I've got the first guinea pig in my
office to attempt to work via spice 100% of the time (in the office, at
home etc.).  I'll let you know what we find!

--
Thanks,
David Mansfield