[Spice-devel] how can i trace monitor change (etc) events

David Mansfield spice at dm.cobite.com
Wed Apr 16 06:41:08 PDT 2014

On 04/16/2014 03:15 AM, Christophe Fergeau wrote:
> On Wed, Apr 16, 2014 at 06:32:30AM +1000, Lindsay Mathieson wrote:
>> Monitor resize is handled by the spice-vdagent app in the *guest* system, it
>> must be installed and running in the guest for that to work. It serves the
>> same purpose as the guest tools in vmware, virtualbox etc.
> With a recent qemu (with spice client monitor config support) and a guest
> with the kms qxl driver, the agent is no longer involved in resizing the
> guest.

Ok, good to know.  So how can I trace the interaction of kms/qxl.ko =>
spice-server => remote-viewer.  I have already posted a debug trace from
remote-viewer showing that the "monitor config" events received by
remote-viewer are different when using MATE vs GNOME3.

In particular, with MATE we get a bunch of:

(remote-viewer:12916): GSpice-WARNING **: FIXME: only support monitor
config with primary surface 0, but given config surface 5

Which seems suspicious to me, given that these are followed immediately
by incorrect behavior and don't happen in GNOME3.

I have already tried using 0.25 spice-gtk compiled from source (instead
of F20's 0.23) and it makes no difference.

I'm willing to compile qemu or whatever to track this down but some
pointers would be really helpful.

Thanks,
David