[Spice-devel] Questions on usbredir + XSpice

Jeremy White jwhite at codeweavers.com
Tue Aug 5 12:52:13 PDT 2014

While I'm researching, I thought I'd look into the next challenge for
XSpice - usb device redirection.

It faces similar challenges to the CAC card stuff.  That is, my sense is
that the usbredir library and utility set is all about reading client
machine USB device information and relaying it through to qemu, which
then exposes it as a 'real' device to the guest OS.

Again, with XSpice, we don't have qemu :-(.

Ideally, we'd find some mechanism to inject a usb device into the system
running XSpice.

I've done some further research, and the usbip project would seem
useful.  It was here:
    http://usbip.sourceforge.net/
but apparently is now in the kernel.

If we use that, then the challenge would appear to be translating the
protocols.

Alternates:
   1.  Use usbip end-to-end
        I'd like to avoid this; there are benefits to having all spice
traffic go over the same channel
   2.  ???  Insight appreciated <grin> ???
       (I can't help but feel there are other methods for simulating a
USB device, but I'm fairly ignorant of this space).

Cheers,

Jeremy