[Spice-devel] Spice agent and LXC

Charles Ricketts githlar at gmail.com
Mon Dec 1 03:07:01 PST 2014

I just did a verification and the symbol was actually
VD_AGENT_MAX_CLIPBOARD, not that it matters all that much but perhaps
you'll know what this is and won't have to look it up and dig through git
or anything ;).

By the way, tarball sources were mentioned as being more manageable in
general. As a matter of practicality, should spice sources be compiled from
the tarballs or git? Or does it matter? FWIW, I don't know a whole lot
about git, just how to 'git clone', but I always imagined that doing so
would pull in every change up until the point it's done, regardless of
whether it's actually made it into a release or not and might break things
depending on when it's done. Generally speaking, is this a relevant concern?

Also, I suppose I'll provide a status update: I did manage to get QXL
working with GDM in Fedora 20. Ubuntu 14.04, however, is causing me
headaches. Due to a combination of its limited implementation of systemd
and/or the fact that I'm running it within an LXC container breaks the
systemd cgroup, preventing vdagentd from getting session information from
vdagent and therefore preventing it from working properly. And, since
ConsoleKit auth has been dropped in 14.04, that's out of the question as
well. Even if I were to install the Pam module, apparently using them both
in combination is frowned upon if not impossible and prone to breakage.
Nevertheless, I've moved my further questions to the Ubuntu and LXC guys
since I'm unsure exactly which system is causing the problem, but it's
clearly not Spice-related.

However, one thing that may be Spice related is the tendency for the LXC
display to hang. For example, when GDM starts in Fedora 20, it takes about
a minute and a half or so to bring up the actual login display. At first I
attributed this to Gnome Shell (I use it myself and know how slow it can be
at times), but I found that this is actually a recurring problem when stuff
moves on the screen repeatedly. One reproducible example I found was
playing a YouTube video within Spice (not even full screen). It would cause
the whole display to do the same hang for a long period of time as well.
The display would hang until the video ended (or perhaps some time after, I
didn't time it exactly) or until the Firefox close button was clicked and
after a fairly long delay (30 seconds, maybe). I would like to investigate
this as well, but I will need to figure out how to set up an alternate
display for comparison in order to be able to determine whether it's
actually Spice or not.

Charles R.