[Spice-devel] [spice-common 00/13] Improvements to spice-common configure.ac/Makefile.am

Christophe Fergeau cfergeau at redhat.com
Thu Dec 4 04:30:00 PST 2014

On Thu, Dec 04, 2014 at 06:06:34AM -0500, Marc-André Lureau wrote:
> > Well, I'm not suggesting something that drastic ;) Not running
> > spice-protocol configure every time is an easy win without making huge
> > changes to what we have now.
>
> I am not sure, I don't know what you have in mind to remove autoconf subdir for the moment.

So far in this subthread, I've been mostly talking about not having a
spice-protocol submodule, which would avoid running ./configure for
spice-protocol every time you run configure in the main module.

You seem to be asking about my next steps (after this series) for
spice-common/configure.ac. I've tried to explain in the cover letter,
but here is a more detailed version.
My end goal is to take part of spice-common/configure.ac (the checks for
opus, celt, pixman, ... and the AC_CONFIG_FILES() call), and move that
to a SPICE_COMMON_SETUP() m4 macro.
Then spice-common/configure.ac can call that macro, which means
spice-common still has a working configure (ie things are unchanged from
the current situation).
But the main module configure.ac can also call that macro with the path
to the spice-common submodule: SPICE_COMMON_SETUP(spice-protocol/),
which means we don't need to run spice-common/configure with all kind of
redundant tests.

> Btw, you can use configure subdir cache to speed up configure-time,
> since some checks are repeated. I haven't tried, but it will surely
> give you the boost you are after.

Yup, I know this exists, but did not have much luck when I tried to set
this up. A check that never runs is faster than a check whose result is
cached though ;)