[Spice-devel] spice-xpi client fails to run

Uri Lublin uril at redhat.com
Wed Dec 10 07:19:57 PST 2014

On 12/08/2014 09:55 PM, Alex wrote:
> Hi, I have a RHEV 3.3 environment but I run 3.17.4-1-ARCH on my work
> station and would like to access the RHEV spice server on the VM's,  I
> have also tried with openSuSE but I never get the expected "Spice
> window frame" that I would get if I used a  RHEL system with the
> spice-xpi.  The spice frame has other options for the VM, e.g. usb
> options. As seen in the below link:
>
> http://tinyurl.com/kwpqm8y
>
> I suspect this is due to the below that I have found in my logs:
>
> Dec 08 08:59:57 linux-rocks firefox.desktop[1378]:
> (plugin-container:1473): SpiceXPI-CRITICAL **: controller connect: No
> such file or directory
> Dec 08 08:59:57 linux-rocks firefox.desktop[1378]: SpiceXPI-Message:
> failed to run spice-xpi-client, running spicec instead
>
> How can I get my system to run the xpi client instead of using spicec?

Hi Alex,

First, I'd try setting "Native Client" console option on RHEV-M portal.

As for the problem itself.
Do you have virt-viewer installed on your (client) machine ?
Does the file /usr/libexec/spice-xpi-client exists (possibly a symbolic
link) ?
Assuming it's a script, Does it run remote-viewer ? Does it use exec to
run remote-viewer ?

Regards,
     Uri.