[Spice-devel] multiple users and xspice

Jeremy White jwhite at codeweavers.com
Tue Dec 23 05:04:24 PST 2014

On 12/23/2014 03:30 AM, Rob Verduijn wrote:
> Hello all,
>
> I'm wondering if it is possible to get Xspice to work for multiple
> concurrent users.
>
> Currently I got it to work with xdmcp to start up a spice-desktop session.
> However when the second user logs in the session will be taken over by
> that user.
>
> Is it possible to get this to work with Xspice ? (or similar solution)
> Bonus points if it works with sssd.

Hey Rob,

The idea with XSpice is to run one Xorg process per user session. And
that does work; I use it extensively.  There is not (yet) a seamless way
to do this on Fedora.  I was just playing with this on Fedora 21, and
it's still very fiddly, particularly with gdm. I found that if I
modified /etc/gdm/custom.conf to enable xdmcp and set the ping interval
to 0, then a
   XSpice -query localhost  <other parameters as needed>

seemed to work, although I had to set aside my play while it was still
fairly fiddly.  I was hoping to get more time to play to write a little
bit of apache fu to spin up a user session on demand, but I haven't
gotten to it yet :-/.

Cheers,

Jeremy