[Spice-devel] multiple users and xspice

Jeremy White jwhite at codeweavers.com
Tue Dec 23 05:37:32 PST 2014

On 12/23/2014 07:20 AM, Rob Verduijn wrote:
> Like I said in my first email, I already got Xspice to play along with
> xdmcp.
> And when connecting to the server using virt-viewer I get a nice desktop.
>
> Now what I do not have is more than 1 concurrent user.
> Also preventing the second user from hijacking the session from the
> first user is an issue.
> Explaining that user one has session :1 and user two has session :2 is
> an administration nightmare.
>
> It all has to work automagically.
I'm sorry, but you asked if XSpice supported multiple users; that answer
is yes.  If the question is can it do it automagically, then that answer
is no.

I think the code required to make that happen is fairly modest, and I
was trying to point you to the start I'd made on itin the hope it would
help.

I'll continue that, briefly, here, and then leave you to it.

You will need to auto compute a free X display number.  The client
doesn't care about X display; what's scarce for clients is Spice port
numbers.

The clients shouldn't have to know their port number; you should be able
to create a uri that embeds the port number, and that should be
automagic. That does tend to suggest a web server based launch, not
xinetd, though.   You can also feed the spice_auto.html page in the
spice-html5 client and get a magic web session (that was my plan).

One final tool that may help you - the remote viewer client has a
--spice-controller option that allows you to start the spice client with
a variety of parameters.  An xinetd solution could be rolled using that
facility, but that would be a fair bit of work. (The spice controler
option involves connecting to a socket and sending a fairly specific set
of protocol messages to it, one of which could be 'open a spice client
with these parameters').

Cheers,

Jeremy