[Spice-devel] How to drag a folder from client to guest?

Cody Chan int64ago at gmail.com
Mon Feb 24 20:57:29 PST 2014

On Tue, Feb 25, 2014 at 6:03 AM, Marc-André Lureau <mlureau at redhat.com> wrote:
> Hi

Aha:) I have followed your advices, but the effect is the same with I
have patched
I don't have good environment to do more test...So I still need to
read source code deeply!

>> ii)Can't drag multi-files
>> I'm glad to see the following in source code:
>>  /* At the moment, the copy() method is limited to a single file,
>>        support for copying multi-files will be implemented later. */
>>     g_return_if_fail(sources[1] == NULL);
>>
>> iii)But, it doesn't support for drag folder
>> Is there TODO I don't find? Or any ideas about solution?
>

> Imho, dragging files/folder shouldn't be done via a Spice "copy" protocol. Instead, Spice should learn to implement drag and drop. Afaik this should be doable, but nobody worked on it.

Actually, I'm always curious if copying muti-files/folder can be done
by compressing to a zip/... before transfering ......of course, it's not a
cool solution...

> Otoh, you might be interested in the sharing folder functionality. It allows you to have a folder on the client mounted/visible directly in the guest. From there copy will work like a regular guest operation, with guest UI etc.

Here's a  particular requirement that files can ONLY be draged from
local to guest......

>This function is mostly ready, and I will submit a new patch this week (I'll add you in CC).

I'm really appreciate to hear that, thx a lot:)