[Spice-devel] How to start with Spice Development?

Alon Levy alevy at redhat.com
Tue Feb 25 02:07:42 PST 2014

On 02/17/2014 08:14 PM, Jeremy White wrote:
> On 02/17/2014 08:44 AM, Alf G. wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> I am very interested to delve into spice and perhaps do some work on it.
>> What is the best way to start? Can I use the documents on
>> spice-space.org/documentation.html
>> <http://spice-space.org/documentation.html> as base or are they not at
>> all up to date? Is the spice-project written in pure C or also are there
>> C++ parts?
>
> That's great, and welcome!
>
> I think the documentation is pretty out of date.  It's certainly a good
> start, and the core concepts in the protocol haven't changed, but the
> web site is well behind the code.
>
> The code is mostly C; there is a (deprecated) client written in C++.
> There is also a Javascript web client.
>
> I'd recommend that your first action is to pick an interesting use case,
> and get it working with code from git.  So either qemu + windows guest,
> or qemu + linux guest, or pure Xspice.
>
> From there, it gets trickier.  I don't think we have a set of 'easy'
> projects to start with.  The links on the devel page don't take you to a
> list of open bugs, but this link should work:
>
> https://bugs.freedesktop.org/buglist.cgi?query_format=specific&order=relevance%20desc&bug_status=__open__&product=Spice

Welcome! This link is for the freedesktop bugs, but there are also a
considerable number of bugs on the Red Hat bugtracker:

https://bugzilla.redhat.com/buglist.cgi?bug_status=NEW&bug_status=ASSIGNED&classification=Fedora&component=spice&component=spice-gtk&component=virt-viewer&component=spice-html5&component=spice-parent&component=spice-protocol&component=spice-vdagent&component=spice-xpi&component=xorg-x11-drv-qxl&list_id=2259049&product=Fedora&query_format=advanced

That is incomplete - qemu is not in there, but it includes many
unrelated bugs.