[Spice-devel] Help with SmartCards and XSpice

Robert Relyea rrelyea at redhat.com
Wed Jul 23 17:20:10 PDT 2014

On 07/22/2014 12:41 PM, Jeremy White wrote:
> I'm hoping to get some guidance / clue bats / shock and horror in
> implementing Smart Card support for XSpice clients.
>
> I think I have a tentative, but sufficient grasp of how the Smart Card
> stuff flows from the client into the server.  It's not quite as clear
> how the server bridges it into qemu, but I think I have the gist of it.
>
> However, that doesn't work for XSpice sessions.

I'm not sure why it shouldn't. The qemu portion simply forwards the ccid
APDU's from the host. Spice has libcaccard which translates the CAC
requests into calls against your PKCS #11 token on your client side.

> It looks to me that this should be possible.  My research suggests
> that pam_pkcs11 is pluggable, and that it should be possible to write
> a module that would receive the cert information.
pam_pkcs11 uses plugable PKCS #11 modules (which also work in firefox
and other NSS applications). You would have to install this module in
your guest, however. I think redirecting the CCID USB data would be
easier, though.