[Spice-devel] how to read the spice-server source code?

Alon Levy alevy at redhat.com
Mon Jun 9 02:28:10 PDT 2014

On 05/29/2014 11:16 AM, aaron_0119 wrote:
> hi,
> guys, i built the spice-gtk on an arm board(Contex A9). i test it and found that it is not very smoothly when i playing the video.
> so i decided to how the video streamer be transmitted or compressed between the server and client. i try to read the source code but i found the spice-server source code is very trival and hard to follow.
> plz give me some suggestion to do this?which file should i read first?the red_worker.c or the reds.c or others?
> And If you have some idea to improve the performance of the client on ARM, you can send it to me,too.
> thx a lot~
> best regard to  you ~
> Aaron  Zhang

red_worker contains the whole of the display channel logic, including
video detection. Spice doesn't passthrough video streams from the app in
the vm to the client, it recompresses decoded images using a heuristic
(framerate / same area / large enough). mjpeg code is separate in
mjpeg_encoder.c

reds.c is the server itself, not interesting for you I think.

Channel logic is in red_channel.c