[Spice-devel] about spicy and opengl

Marc-André Lureau mlureau at redhat.com
Fri Jun 20 03:37:55 PDT 2014

----- Original Message -----
> Hi all,
>
> When spicy can use opengl to accelerate rendering, I find that gl_canvas.c
> still uses pixman. and it seems that spicec supports opengl.
> My question is whether spicec will be more smoothly than spicy in graphic
> performance when using opengl? And does it recommend to
> use spicec in production environment?

The easier is to try it, it may depend on your GPU capabilities. From my
experience, in general it is much slower. The opengl canvas uses operations
that are slow, like glReadPixels() or glCopyPixels(). It is probably not
a modern opengl usage and I suppose it could be made faster.

Note that spice-gtk (the maintained client) doesn't support the GL canvas,
but in a near future, it will have virgl support, which requires a GL context.
However, this will be for local VM only atm, and use a very different
rendering model.

cheers