[Spice-devel] wmctrl and spice

Christophe Fergeau cfergeau at redhat.com
Mon Mar 17 02:32:02 PDT 2014

Hey,

On Fri, Mar 14, 2014 at 02:22:03PM -0400, Daniel Rawson wrote:
> We have just moved to using SPICE and virt-viewer (as provided by Redhat
> with the Redhat Enterprise Virtualization server).  In the past I have
> used wmctrl to modify windows, move them between desktops, hide them from
> the taskbar, etc.  but this does not appear to work with version of SPICE
> that we have available (virt-viewer 0.5.618.el6_5).'

(I guess this question could go to Red Hat support as well if you are using
RH versions)

> The client is running on a Windows 7 desktop - the virtual machine is Redhat Enterprise Linux.

When I look for wmctrl on google, I find http://tomas.styblo.name/wmctrl/
which is a linux tool. Is this the tool you are talking about? If so, I
assume you are running it in the guest? The SPICE client you use should not
make a difference with respect to the guest windows management, is the
SPICE client you use the only difference with a setup where wmctrl works?