[Spice-devel] how to let spice-server send all the rendering work to the client side

Zhicheng Li(Emmannel) zhichengli at hengtiansoft.com
Tue May 6 01:50:44 PDT 2014

Hi all,

During the past days, I was dedicated to build, configure the spice source code to achieve the desired performance. But several questions, or you can call them suggestions, occurred to me when the remote desktop did as they were expected.

spice is claimed to be able to "intelligently assess the system resources available on the user's client device versus the host  virtualization server. And as a result of this assessment, the protocol dynamically decides whether to render the desktop application on the client device or the host server". Here comes my question, could we  disable this "dynamic" part, cut off the other alternative option which is doing the rendering work on server side and sending client the image using some kind of compression algorithm, just always send client those qxl commands, because I was always furnished with such a powerful client that I can deal with all kinds of graphic commands on the client side.

If my assumption can be achieved, then the client is not very much so "thin". But I don't care, I just want spice server to send client the graphic command every time, then network overload can be reduced, massively, maybe.

If I want to get what I want, how do I modify the source code? Are there some if ... else ... or switch sentences to choose which side to do the rendering work? At this time, I am submerged in the source code overview, but there is nothing exciting to be found.

Would you please help me?

--
Best Regards
Emmanuel