[Spice-devel] SPICE client for unmanaged X

David Jaša djasa at redhat.com
Tue May 13 06:57:06 PDT 2014

Hi Brad,

the support for seamless multi-head is in spice for quite some time. In
the guest, qxl driver needs to be used, spice-vdagent must be running
(agent consists of system-wide spice-vdagentd daemon and per-session
spice-vdagent process, all should be up'n'running automatically after
installation and maybe logout). No further X configuration is necessary.

Then connect with:
(remote|virt)-viewer --full-screen=auto-conf <...>
or after connection, enable extra monitors in View -> Displays.

You may have troubles if you use too old systems (Debian or Ubuntu more
than two years old, RHEL/CentOS gets spice rebases regularly). If you
have problems with recent distros, please attach debug logs:

* virt-viewer: launch it in console with --spice-debug parameter

* spice-vdagent: kill the per-session instance and run it in console:
    spice-vdagent -x -d -d

HTH,

David