[Spice-devel] Intra-frame compress for spice video channel

徐浩 hao.xu at cs2c.com.cn
Tue May 27 00:35:07 PDT 2014

I've tried MJPEG2000 algorithm and it did reduce the data transferred. I capture the raw bitmap data and compress it using MPJEG2000.
If you transfer the quic_data to x264, it will cost much CPU utilization. As far as I know, someone has made it to use x264 to process videos, but the performance improves little.

 From: QiangDate: 2014-05-27 15:24To: spice-develSubject: [Spice-devel] Intra-frame compress for spice video  channel

    Hi, Dear all

      I want to improve Spice bandwidth utilization, with a reasonable
      cost of more CPU utilization.

      Under my test the audio(with opus) work fine under low bandwidth.

      As I know the spice didn't use the intra-frame to compress the
      video data.

      Under my test all the display frame be compressed as quic_data.
      But even use the

      quic compress, it take huge bandwidth to play my 480P movie.

      So I wanted to implement the intra-frame to compress(As an compress option.) based x264.

      There are seem two ways.

      1) drawable_data -> stream -> use the x264 instead the
      M-JPEG compressed.

      I am struggling why this data didn't pass through the video
      stream. But as a quic_data.

      2) quic_data -> transfer the quic_data to a rgb data -> use
      the x264 to compress it.

      But I am not sure how transfer the quic_data to x264 input_data?
      there is so limited doc about this.

      Any idea about the intra-frame or the video compression please let
      me know.

      PS: Anyone know the new contact way of Yonit Halperin

      Thanks very much.