[Spice-devel] how to read the spice-server source code?

Marc-André Lureau mlureau at redhat.com
Thu May 29 02:55:26 PDT 2014

----- Original Message -----
> hi,
> guys, i built the spice-gtk on an arm board(Contex A9). i test it and found
> that it is not very smoothly when i playing the video.
> so i decided to how the video streamer be transmitted or compressed between
> the server and client. i try to read the source code but i found the
> spice-server source code is very trival and hard to follow.
> plz give me some suggestion to do this?which file should i read first?the
> red_worker.c or the reds.c or others?
> And If you have some idea to improve the performance of the client on ARM,
> you can send it to me,too.

Spice-gtk is known to work ok on arm, it is provided for Android devices with
the aSpice client.

You could profile the client with Linux "perf" tool. That can yield interesting
results on where the hotspots are located.

If you have trouble playing video, most likely the jpeg decompression and the
display updates are too slow. You could also compare with the old spicec client
which doesn't make use of cairo for display, to see if it performs as badly.

Keep us informed!

cheers