[Spice-devel] [Xen-devel] Is: QXL in Xen (busted) Was :Re: Xen 4.5-rc1 update (RC1 is out 2014-Oct-24th)

Fabio Fantoni fabio.fantoni at m2r.biz
Thu Nov 6 07:12:14 PST 2014

Il 03/11/2014 17:03, Konrad Rzeszutek Wilk ha scritto:
>>> Sometimes you need to poke the maintainers. They (at least
>>> I do) have mailboxes so packed that sometimes emails end up
>>> going missing. But I think their arguments is going to be:
>>> lets figure out what is broken before putting this in the source.
>>>
>>> .. snip..
>>>>>
>>> .. snip ..
>>> Right. But there is some work needed in that area (figure out what
>>> is happening on Linux).
>>>
>>> ..snip..

>>> What did you test? There is an 'drm-test' tool that was floating around?
>>> (http://cgit.freedesktop.org/mesa/drm/)
>>>
>>> It allows you to run most (if not all) of the Xorg functionality - but
>>> using an tool from user-space - and with much more exposure of what
>>> went wrong.
>>>
>>> Could you try the following (without having Xorg in either guest):
>>>   1). Boot up your KVM guest, install said tool - run it. Record what
>>>      works and what does not.
>>>
>>>   2). Boot up your Xen guest, and do the same thing.
>>>
>>> That should narrow down which of the hundreds' of DRM ioctls is failing
>>> when using spice under Xen. And that ought to help narrow down this further.
>>>
>>> I can help you a bit by sending you some debug patches, thought I do
>>> have to warn you that I am under a lot of time-pressure so my response
>>> is not as fast as I would want it to be.
>>>
>> I tested only without xorg, just console with drm without particular tests.
>>
>> I can't find the drm-test tool you mentioned, is it available in debian
>> and/or fedora repositories an what is it called?
>> I also did a quick google search and found only something about wayland and
>> not about X.org.
> I mentioned the URL in the email, but here it is again:
>
> http://cgit.freedesktop.org/mesa/drm/
>
> You will need to compile it, etc.

Thanks for your reply, sorry for my late reply, I was busy.
I prepared 2 Trusty (ubuntu 14.04) vm minimal for the tests (one on kvm
and one on xen).
Started and both arrive to console login successfull and they have qxl
kernel module active:

lsmod
qxl
drm_kms_helper qxl
drm qxl,ttm,drm_kms_helper

I downloaded compile and installed mesa/drm from git master brach
./configure
make
sudo make install

After I tried to execute the tests binary I found under test but all fails:
sudo ./modetest
no device found.

sudo ./vbltest
failed to load any modules, aborting.

sudo ./kmstest
main: Could not open device (Operation not permitted)

Same result on both xen and kvm.
Seems that there is any module in mesa/drm about qxl even if kernel
modules is present and active and qxl xorg driver use it FWIK.

I did another fast search on google without found how to test qxl drm to
find the difference between xen and kvm.
Someone can tell me what I must do to take useful data about xen and kvm
difference for qxl problem?

I added also spice-devel to cc.

Thanks for any reply and sorry for my bad english.