[Spice-devel] Spice agent and LXC

Alon Levy alon at pobox.com
Thu Nov 27 04:13:52 PST 2014

On 11/27/2014 02:02 PM, Charles Ricketts wrote:
> Well, I have Spice working perfectly fine in a Windows install. However,
> seeing as that's not pertinent to the Linux side of things I went ahead
> and installed Ubuntu 14.04 in Qemu and, as expected, everything worked.
> I didn't bother with the git sources in this install, because I was 99%
> sure it was going to work anyway. I don't have a Fedora ISO lying around
> to test it with, but I imagine that the results would be the same.
>
> However, I don't think that even this is pertinent to the problem. The
> reason I think this is because Qemu acts as the Spice server if I am
> correct. Qemu relays information from a network socket assigned on the
> command line to the virtualized serial port and vice versa. Since an LXC
> installation is sans-Qemu server then I must use Xspice in order to take
> the place of Qemu and act as a Spice server in order to relay
> information between the agents/QXL driver and the Spice client. So,
> testing it within Qemu doesn't really reflect the problem at all. Beyond
> Qemu, there's really no way to test it sans-LXC. Actually, now that I
> think about it I may be able to run Xspice directly within a VM and then
> attempt to connect to it... I'll try that out later on and let you know
> how/if that works out. I may have to get that Fedora ISO after all just
> to broaden the test cases.
>
> I realize that I'm effectively attempting to use Spice outside of normal
> circumstances. However, the way that Xspice behaves -- such as creating
> its own versions of the virtio port (as a socket rather than a character
> device) and uinput (as a pipe) and attempting to destroy any existing
> versions of those files -- leads me to believe that Xspice was almost
> built for the purpose even if not intentionally. And, as I had said
> before, I got it mostly working in a Fedora LXC container (only lacking
> client functionality, which is why I asked for input in the first place ;).

Xspice can definitely be used in a container, since it can also be used
without one. Did you manage to run it as is, i.e. Xspice <command line
arguments> plus connecting with both spice client (remote-viewer) and X
clients (window manager etc.) ? If not, and it crashed doing that,
getting a meaningful stack trace would require building Xspice with
debug symbols - something that should be available on ubuntu without the
need to build from source. Are you using ubuntu?

[snip]