[Spice-devel] Bug in spice-guest-tools-0.74.exe installer

ToddAndMargo ToddAndMargo at zoho.com
Thu Oct 9 14:36:39 PDT 2014

Dear Spice Developers,

I can't figure out where to report this bug on Red Hat's Bugzilla,
so if you will forgive me, I will report it here.

On Windows XP-Pro SP3, I just upgraded upgraded
     old: spice-guest-tools-0.52.exe
     new: spice-guest-tools-0.74.exe

And promptly lost my clipboard between the host and other virtual
machines.

I trouble shoot it down to vdagent having the wrong path
in the registry:

Bad entries:

       [HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\ControlSet001\Services\vdservice]
       "ImagePath"="C:\Drivers\vdagent-win-x86\vdservice.exe"

       [HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\ControlSet002\Services\vdservice]
       "ImagePath"="C:\Drivers\vdagent-win-x86\vdservice.exe"

I corrected the issue by manually changing to the correct paths:

       [HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\ControlSet001\Services\vdservice]
       "ImagePath"="C:\Program Files\SPICE Guest Tools\32\vdservice.exe"

       [HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\ControlSet002\Services\vdservice]
       "ImagePath"="C:\Program Files\SPICE Guest Tools\32\vdservice.exe"

And restarting the service.

So the bug is that the installer does not properly update the path
to vdservice.exe in the registry.

Many thanks,
-T