[Spice-devel] Odd issue with OSX Guest

Brad Campbell lists2009 at fnarfbargle.com
Mon Sep 1 21:01:39 PDT 2014

G'day All,

I'm attempting to run an OSX guest using spice as the remote display
protocol (Yes, it's running on Apple hardware). The guest is using the
standard vga driver.

I'm using the latest git of spice, spice-gtk, qemu and the kernel.

The issue I'm bumping up against is it appears something, somewhere is
sending keypresses to the guest on a timed basis. I've not been able to
put my finger on it, but things like pull down menus just cancel out
from under me. It's almost like a second after the last mouse movement
the escape key is being pressed.

Being vaguely familiar enough with the source to be dangerous, is there
an easy way for me to instrument keyboard/mouse events being sent to the
guest?

I can sprinkle the source with printf's, but I wondered if there was a
better way of trying to find out where this is coming from. My gut says
it must be spice related as it does not happen at all if I switch to vnc
as the display.

Command line (in case it matters).

qemu -enable-kvm -m 24576 -cpu core2duo -machine q35 \
   -usb -device usb-kbd -device usb-mouse \
   -device isa-applesmc,osk="xxx" \
   -smbios type=2 \
   -device ide-drive,bus=ide.2,drive=MacHDD \
   -drive id=MacHDD,if=none,file=/dev/sda3,cache=unsafe \
   -monitor stdio \
   -spice port=5930,disable-ticketing\
   -vga std \
   -net nic,model=virtio\
   -net tap,ifname=tap0,script=/etc/qemu-ifup,vhost=on\
   -smp 4,cores=4 \

   -device ide-drive,bus=ide.4,drive=fatdrive \
   -drive id=fatdrive,file=fat:ro:VirtIoNetDrv \
   -kernel /home/brad/chameleon_svn2360_boot \

Outside of this issue, the guest is working well, but this peculiar
behaviour has me a bit stumped.

Regards,
Brad