[Spice-devel] [spice-gtk] Add spec files

Daniel P. Berrange berrange at redhat.com
Thu Apr 16 03:37:05 PDT 2015

On Thu, Apr 16, 2015 at 12:30:27PM +0200, Marc-André Lureau wrote:
> I don't think there are valid reason to put fedora-specific spec file in
> upstream. You can easily build a rpm with fedpkg. nack

We've done this for years with all libvirt related packages and it
has proved pretty userful for both end users and maintainers alike.

For example, when upstream makes a change that would impact the RPM
packaging, it is usually quicker & easier for the person making
that change to do the RPM spec file change upstream at the same
time, than for the downstream maintainer to waste time trying to
figure out what the change was.

By having an upstream RPM spec that is always buildable, it makes
it easier for users to test out new releases that are not yet in
the official distro repos, because again they don't have to figure
out how to fix the RPM spec to work with latest code changes.

Having a single canonical RPM spec that works across all current
versions of RHEL & Fedora has also reduced the workload on the
Fedora maintainers too.

The included RPM spec also serves as a helpful guide for other
distros figuring out how to package libvirt in non-RPM formats

So yes, it might seem odd to include a downstream specific RPM
spec in upstream, but in practice it has proved pretty useful
over the 9+ years libvirt & related apps have been around

Regards,
Daniel