[Spice-devel] are there any new spice protocol document?

Romanovsky Vladislav vromanso at redhat.com
Thu Apr 23 06:04:49 PDT 2015

Hello Dennis,

A while ago I've started to work on a similar proxy for Spice as part of the
Openstack Nova project. However, It should fine to use it without openstack.

So far, there are two working versions, one for userspace and another is a transparent proxy.
However, we are now focusing on the transparent one, as the userspace one was slow..

The idea is to setup forwarding rules (iptables) between the client and the spice
port on a proxy host. When the client will request a spice console, a new port will be opened
on the proxy host, for which forwarding rules will be setup to the destination.
The proxy will respond with a port number to which the native client should connect to.
It will also monitor the rules and will remove those which are no longer connected.

At the moment we have a working code, but it's far from being in a good shape. (As it was a side project for us so far)
There are 2 people involved and each has some part of the code locally.

In the coming days we should be able to consolidate everything in a repo below, however, as far this served
us just for hacking.
https://github.com/vladikr/spicetcpproxy

We are now in a process of writing a proper blueprint for Nova. Thoughts are more than welcome :)

Hope that helps,

Vladik