[Spice-devel] Floating windows?

David Jaša djasa at redhat.com
Mon Jan 5 07:52:27 PST 2015

On Ne, 2014-11-16 at 16:25 +0100, Fabiano Fidêncio wrote:
> Hey Todd,
>
> On Sun, Nov 16, 2014 at 5:48 AM, ToddAndMargo <ToddAndMargo at zoho.com> wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > Please excuse if this is dumb question.  I have seen the way
> > Parallels operates on Mac.  Instead of opening up a window
> > with the whole of Windows inside, Parallels will float just
> > the application in the host's desktop.  Makes for a lot
> > less clutter.
> >
> > Is there anything like this in our future?  (I know
> > you can do this with X11 and SSH on Linux VM's,
> > but it is slow and Windows doesn't support it.)
> >

> It's something that I'd love to see implemented. Although, for now
> (talking about short-term future), I don't see myself work on this
> (but I cannot speak for the others working on Spice).

IIRC what virtualbox uses to achieve this feature is to draw all windows
in the one big desktop and cut them out of it - quite a hack if indeed
true.

I think that solving this problem well would need cooperation with
window manager and composition manager and it would also allow host of
optimizations in normal mode with guest root windows: way less traffic
on WM animations, no redraws on window movement, no discard & re-send of
graphics on pop-up & dismiss, scaling down of windows server-side for
windows previes (gnome-shell's overview and windows aero alt-tab) and so
on...

David