[Spice-devel] bad "remote-viewer <=> client screensaver" interactions

David Mansfield spice at dm.cobite.com
Tue Jan 13 13:49:11 PST 2015

Hi All,

I currently run spice full screen on two monitors, with a third monitor
that "stays local" on the client.  I imagine everything I say here would
probably also apply to the scenario of running a spice client full
screen on one monitor, and keeping the second monitor "local".

1) When the mouse stays inside remote-viewer window, the client
screensaver is inhibited and will not activate. This is problematic
because anything displayed on the local monitor will be visible
indefinitely (even if the Spice VM is locked), as long as the mouse
stays inside remote-viewer window.

2) Mouse/keyboard activity in the remote-viewer window does not count as
"activity" to the client screensaver, so (assuming you've been inside
the remote-viewer window long enough) as soon as the mouse goes into the
local monitor, the screensaver activates (the inhibit is lifted at this
time, I suppose).

Is this the intended behavior?

I'm using MATE Desktop (from EPEL) on Centos 7 - fully updated.  Client
is stock remote-viewer. The reason for this configuration is that VoIP
telephony and video conferencing runs from the local machine and needs
to be visible at all times.  When you move your mouse over to answer a
call, the screen locks!  Funny!

--
Thanks,
David Mansfield