[Spice-devel] RFC spice: Should the input-fps be refreshed regularly?

Francois Gouget fgouget at codeweavers.com
Tue Jun 9 04:11:40 PDT 2015

Spice provides an estimate of the input video fps to the video streaming
backends. This is done by red_stream_input_fps_timer_cb() in
red_worker.c which is called 5 seconds after the streaming starts.

That callback contains code so it can be called again:

    stream->num_input_frames = 0;
    stream->input_fps_timer_start = now;

However the corresponding timer is not rearmed so it is in fact called
only once. Is that the correct behavior or do we want the input_fps
field to be refreshed regularly?

For video the framerate tends to be pretty constant so calculating it
once could be sufficient. But maybe there are other cases where we would
want more up to date information. Games maybe?

--
Francois Gouget <fgouget at codeweavers.com>